Saturday, February 7, 2009

Do One Thing Everyday That Scares the S"*!T Out of You!

One thing you must know about me is that I am the biggest chicken on the face of the planet. Bawk, Bawk, Bawk. Yeah, that is me. I'm afraid of everything, roller coasters, pain, fast cars, new restaurants, new people, old people doesn't matter it terrifies me, and me terrified is NOT a pretty sight. Just ask the 20 or so fellow grad students (not to mention the prof!) who had to endure my first grad school presentation! UGG. I think there is a part of me that is still be scraped off the wall in that classroom! So me going on a national casting call for ANYTHING is totally out of character! Me? Talk? You mean, like, in front of people? That I don't know? With cameras around? Might as well just shoot me now! Now once you get to know me, I won't shut the hell up, but at first? No freaking way! But when the AHA's Go Red Campaign came to Houston seeking women to share their "inspiring stories" I wanted to go because I'm a masochist like that.

It was an amazing experience. Kudos to the staff. They noticed I was nervous and told me I could "practice" telling my story on them before I went in for an interview. One of them even lent me this fierce red trench coat jacket to wear. Truth be told, I probably looked like a red oompha loompha, but I felt like I had just walked out of a What Not to Wear reveal. Stacy and Clinton would have been proud. I told my story to the interviewer, made her cry, and even did a brief interview (complete with pics) for the local newspaper! I was so dang proud of myself! I did it! Something that scared me to death, and I did it!

How did I do it? What got me through? Well, about a year ago my 13 y/o walking talking hormone (AKA my son) performed in his school's annual talent show. He was the only boy to perform and the gym was packed, but he absolutely rocked. Whenever I thought about giving up yesterday - of just turning around and going home, I pictured my son, on stage, no fear, rocking out to Weezer's Beverly Hills and told myself "I can do this!" then I surprised myself by actually doing it. Go Red. Go Caleb! Go ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment